Friday, November 14, 2008

Livin' On the Edge

Way back in July, I posted about an upcoming video game that caught my eye called Mirror's Edge. The game looked unique for its use of a first-person perspective, but its focus on running and traversing the environment (think freerunning or parkour) rather than gunplay. I picked up the game this week upon its Tuesday release, and I can tell you that it has absolutely delivered on my expectations. It's among the most immersive game experiences I've ever had - it's an absoulte adrenaline rush leaping across the cityscape with enemies in hot pursuit. The game captures a sense of motion and momentum better than any I've ever played. I'm only a couple chapters into the game, but I've already gone back and replayed levels I've already finished, because half the fun in Mirror's Edge comes not from getting from A to B, but how you get there. If you're into gaming and you'd like something that feels truly original, you need to pick this one up.

No comments: