Friday, October 17, 2008

What is the Freedom of Choice Act?

As I said the other day, the only reason I really care about the upcoming election at this point is the issue of abortion. More than just the judicial future of Roe v. Wade is at stake. Obama has pledged that “the first thing I’d do as President is sign the Freedom of Choice Act.” What is the Freedom of Choice Act? Justin Taylor has a great analysis.

And BTW - if you find me silly for really only caring about one issue, I don't even care anymore. Other issues matter, but they all pale in comparison to the legally sanctioned killing of innocent human life. Randy Alcorn summed it up well in a great recent blog...
"Please don't tell me abortion isn't the only issue. Of course it isn't. Treatment of the Jews wasn’t the only issue in 1940 Germany. Buying, selling and owning black people wasn’t the only issue in the United States of 1850. Nonetheless, both were the dominant moral issues of their day."

1 comment:

Brian Krieger said...

This is one that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up more than it has. I don't know if you caught Dr. Moore's message (Dr. Burk linked it) about how card playing and movie going were taking equal (if not priority) stage while men and women were "swinging from the trees". I thought it was a perfectly analogous situation. Apparently not everybody shares that thought. And bringing up Nazi Germany and Jews is a conversation filled with vitriol I've found out. I made the same analogy in a conversation and was met with an amazingly violent verbal assault (and, actually, read it since then and seen the exact same thing). I was perplexed. Oh, well.

Thanks for the JT link!

BTW, thanks so much for the very kind words as well.