Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Out With the Old, In With the Older?

Just when I thought I'd seen it all in the sports world. Today, my Carolina Hurricanes fired coach Peter Laviolette and replaced him with...the guy that they fired 5 years ago whom Laviolette replaced, Paul Maurice. I just don't get it. Laviolette wins you the first Stanley Cup in franchise history, and you can him after two disappointing (and injury-riddled, I might add) seasons. This year has been no different - the Canes are hovering around .500, but have lost a ton of guys to injuries in the young season. It's this same "what have you done lately" attitude that had people calling for Carolina Panthers coach John Fox's job during the summer - and he's come back to lead them to the best start in team history this year. Doubtlessly, 'Canes management is hoping for the same kind of bounce that Bruce Boudreau brought to Washington when he took over mid-season last year, and I hope Maurice provides it. I'll be pulling for him all the way. That doesn't change the fact that I find this move - and the overall approach to coaches in pro sports - dumb.

No comments: