Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What's Derek Done Now?

As you'll already know if you're on his email list, things are getting pretty weird surrounding Derek Webb's upcoming fifth album, Stockholm Syndrome. In the past two weeks, he's sent two emails discussing a conflict with his label over the content of the album. Today, derekwebb.com went offline, with only the two emails posted in its place. Granted, this isn't the first such clash he's had, and I'm a big fan and supporter, but this all just seems a bit strange. I'll be curious to see what the fuss is about, but I must say, I'm starting to get a little concerned. I've loved his solo stuff, but his last couple albums have been increasingly political. I've enjoyed them, but I've also missed the rich theology of his first couple albums. Given that fact, and this new dustup, I worry that perhaps he's crossing a line that he shouldn't cross. However, that's just speculation, and I'll wait to see the whole story. Don't let us down, Derek.

No comments: