Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Anti-T.O.

I love sports. I'm a very competitive person - whether I'm cheering on my favorite teams or playing a pick up game with my youth, I like to win. The decibel level in my house when the Panthers score a touchdown, the Hurricanes put one in net, or the Bobcats sink a buzzer-beating three approaches 747 levels. Sports also provide great teachable moments in our spiritual journeys. Often times, the negative teachable moments get far more publicity. Chad Johnson runs his mouth about his tremendous worth and demands a trade, baseball players juice up for a competitive advantage, and Pacman Jones just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time 15 times in three years. That's why when a story like this one (written by terrific Charlotte Observer columnist Scott Fowler) comes along, we'd all do well to put away our rampant cynicism and see a living illustration of Paul's exhortation to "look not only to [your] own interests, but also to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:4)

No comments: